February 2016 Dance Studio Life
Dance Studio Life, a magazine with a back-to-basics approach, is a division of the Rhee Gold Company, whose mission is to be at the forefront of dance and education by promoting the highest possible standards in teaching. Dance Studio Life understands the soul of the teaching field. Visit www.dancestudiolife.com for more info!
INSIDE THIS ISSUE
Eye on Choreography
• Reimagining Rosas danst Rosas : The worldwide reach and universal appeal of an online postmodern choreography project.
• Prince, Feather, Hummingbird : Vision and hard work pay off with a student-written original ballet.
• Teaching What Can't Be Taught : The National Choreography Intensive helps young dancemakers learn to create.
• Small Stage, Big Ideas : Theater-in-the-round shows on a pint-size scale teach creativity and adaptation.
~ ~ ~ ~
• Bright Biz Idea : Dance School Startup : A Founders' Club helps a school build a foundation before opening its doors.
• Ballet Scene : Tales of Two Teachers : Fresh voices enrich the offerings at San Francisco Ballet School.
• Higher-Ed Voice : Shifting Gears : How to identify and help students through training plateaus.
• Summertime Teacher Training : Your guide to workshops and intensives across the U.S. and beyond.
Departments & Columns
• On My Mind : Words from the Publisher
• Bulletin Board : Pin. Post. Share.
• Dance History Quiz : Fun facts for teachers and students.
• FYI : What's up in the dance community
• Page Turners : Books of note (new and not).
• Moving Images : Videos of note (new and not)
• Thinking Out Loud : From Good to Great
• 2 Tips for Ballet Teachers : Starting Barefoot, and Stretching With Ronds de Jambe
• 2 Tips for Tap Teachers : Paddle and Roll
• 2 Tips for Modern & Contemporary Teachers : Hinges and Finding Shapes in Space
• 2 Tips for Hip-Hop Teachers : Two Choreography Strategies
• 2 Music Tips for Dance Teachers : Bournonville's Napoli
• Teacher in the Spotlight : Pamela Caira
• College Close-Ups : Goucher College
• Performance Corner : Our sneak peek at dance shows we'd love to see
• Ask Rhee Gold : Advice for dance teachers
• Dance Bag : Classifieds
• 1,000 Words